Don't Get Stuck in the Tarpits
In this new digital world of marketing and sales there will be survivors and those who succumb. As since the age of the dinosaur, species that are quick to learn and willing to try new things will survive those who are slow and unwilling to adapt.
The velocity of change is fierce. However, it’s not so rapid that we can’t get out of the way. Or, should I say, “get in the way” — of knowledge and experimentation.
First comes knowledge. If you haven’t already, I suggest you develop a personal curriculum to help you organize and understand the basic elements of digital marketing. Start by establishing a clear understanding of how a “sales funnel” methodology works. This infographic from Smart Insights lays it out nicely. There are several ways to reach your destination, but all should lead you to the same place.
I like to break the journey into five sections. Keep in mind you’ll need to dive deeper in each if you want to fully understand how each works with one another.
- Develop a successful marketing strategy - A comprehensive marketing strategy combining online with offline tactics is essential to getting the best ROI. Build a strong foundation by combining business goals, brand positioning, customer segmentation, and tactical planning.
- Create and manage powerful online platforms - An effective online infrastructure is the foundation for your sales lead generation.
- Execute integrated online and offline marketing programs - Coordinating content marketing and traditional marketing programs specifically tailored to your target audience can drastically increase traffic to your site and provide more opportunities to turn visitors into qualified leads.
- Convert leads to sales - Marketing automation systems can be used to cost-effectively nurture leads through the sales funnel.
- Consistently measure and optimize performance - Tracking performance at every level provides critical data needed to improve upon existing efforts.
I realize we’re all busy. But if you plan to survive during this critical phase of the digital evolution, set aside time to learn, put practical plans in place, and don’t be afraid to try new things. This advice will help steer you clear of the tarpits.
Monthly Marketing Insights.
Get thought-provoking and actionable insights to improve how your firm makes a connection with your customers.